Huércal Overa is the result of the union of two medieval settlements: Huércal and Overa. The town sits between two branches of the Almanzora River. It is the chief town of a thriving agricultural district, largely dependent for its prosperity on the lead mining in the surrounding highlands.
Huércal Overa is market town with much of the town centre being taken over by the market every Monday morning. The town has very good facilities with a variety of hotels, restaurants, a modern hospital, a municipal swimming pool and leisure centre. Two recommended restaurants are the Ballabona and the Andalusia, both serve good home-made food. Huércal Overa is well served by the motorway network being 1 km away from the main North-South coastal motorway.
The religious architecture of the town is impressive. Do take time to see the Parish Church de Nuestra Seňora de la Asunción, founded in 1505, the Parish Church de la Asunción de la Virgen built in 1748 and the Chapel of Jesús Nazareno founded in 1749 which contains a magnificent statue of Jesús of Nazareno carved in the same year by Francisco Salzillo.
A procession is held in the Easter week through Huércal Overa to celebrate the Passion of Christ. Here groups of statues are carried on floats by figures in white, brown or black robes. This spectacle has been declared a National Tourist Attraction.
Other buildings of interest include a bell tower dating from the Middle Ages, that looms over the houses of Huércal Overa, the old Pósito (Granary) and the Via Crucis which leads to the Hermitage del Calvario.
Some years ago, new pine plantations were started close to Huércal Overa. These are now relatively mature, and have created the first forest in the area for 500 years. Most of the trees are almond, olive and citrus. Further forests are planned to bring much-needed lush greenery to the area.